Former F1 ace escapes unhurt after high-speed accident at World Endurance Championship
Sao Paulo: Veteran Australian motor racing driver Mark Webber said yesterday he had been left with a 'stinking headache' after sustaining bruising and concussion in a high-speed crash at the Six Hours of Sao Paulo event.
Team Porsche's driver Mark Webber
Webber, racing for Porsche in the World Endurance Championship after quitting Formula One last season, was stretchered off the Interlagos circuit on Sunday after his car collided with Matteo Cressoni's Ferrari.
Both cars crashed into a concrete barrier at speeds estimated at around 300km/h, with the 38-year-old Webber's vehicle catching fire before it came to a stop with the car wrecked.
Bruising & concussion
Webber spent the night in a local hospital in Sao Paulo, his Porsche team said, adding: "He sustained bruising and concussion. Mark is still under observation at the hospital with his teammates and members visiting him.
Webber negotiates a turn during the England leg of the FIA World Endurance C'ship at the Silverstone Circuit in Northampton in April this year. Pics/Getty Images
He is set to return to the UK later this week." Webber added: "I'm quite sore this morning, am pretty bruised and have got a stinking headache. I've got no recollection of the accident or how it happened.
"The team is looking into the details to find out more. Thanks to the medical team at the track and here at the hospital, who did a great job and are looking after me very well." The race, which ended behind the safety car, was won by the Porsche of Neel Jani, a fact that left Webber satisfied.
"On a positive note, it's great that the boys in the No 14 car managed to bring home the victory, which is a fantastic way to finish off the season. I'm already looking forward to getting out there again next year," the Australian said.