Next

Gang making counterfeit electrical wires busted in Vishwas Nagar

Delhi police has nabbed the group of ten, which has been operational for quite some time, and is responsible for several mishaps in Delhi

There could be more of fatal fire accidents in the city, thanks to a gang operating in counterfeit wires, which has been operational for a long time now, till a week ago when Delhi police finally made a crackdown.


Pic/MiD DAY

The economic offence wing of Delhi police busted a gang which deals in counterfeit wires and seized miniature circuit breakers (MCB) and MCB panels worth Rs three crore. Police arrested ten persons in a case of counterfeit wire manufacturing, printers and stocking of wires, MCB and MCB panels from Vishwas Nagar area of east Delhi. Police carried out a large-scale raid on at ten different locations in areas of east Delhi and Bhagirath place in north district area.

According to a senior police official, these raids were conducted on the complaint lodged by leading wire manufacturers, Havells India Limited. "We arrested ten persons who were involved in the illegal trade. They were dealing in all leading brands and the value of the seized goods was approximately Rs three crore," the official said.

Hazardous
Counterfeiting of wires is particularly dangerous and opposed to public interest as it can lead to fire hazards and can have severe impact on life and property. A senior police official further said that all the accused were remanded to police and subsequently to judicial custody.

"It would have been very dangerous as most of the streets are very congested where it is impossible to control the fire even if fire tenders reach in time," said a senior fire department official. Major fire incidents have been reported in last few months and there have been several casualties as well, he added. Besides, the cost of renovation and wear and tear are huge. 

Recent tragedy
At least fourteen persons died and 40 others suffered injuries when a major fire engulfed a congregation of eunuchs at a community centre in Nand Nagri area of east Delhi on November 19. According to reports, the fire broke out because of a short circuit. The fire began in the kitchen of the community centre and thereafter spread to other parts of the hall. 

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply