Cops have asked the victim not to leave Mumbai for her homeland before she appears for the identification parade of the accused

"I just need my passport, and I will go far away from this country that has caused me so much pain." Speaking to MiD DAY recently, Emma (name changed), the Dutch tourist who was allegedly raped by two auto-drivers on December 26, had expressed her desperate urgency to take leave of the country ('Mumbai has disappointed me,' MiD DAY, January 2). But it may be a while before she can return to the comforting shores of her homeland.

The spot where she was raped

Cops of the Vanrai police station, who are investigating the case, have instructed her to defer her departure, so that she can be available to identify the accused.

Take me home: The Dutch tourist had expressed her desperate urgency to take leave of the country

Nine days after the disturbing incident took place, Vanrai police have returned the victim's passport, some personal documents, her iPhone and wallet, which she had left in the auto when she was trying to flee from her assailants. The accused had dumped the belongings in a post box in Goregaon (East), from where cops recovered them.

Emma has been asked to delay her departure, as she needs to appear for the identification parade of the accused, which will be conducted soon. "We will conduct an identification parade of the accused within a day or two. The girl wants to return to the Netherlands by January 5," said a police officer from Vanrai police station.

Investigating officers added that an identification parade could prove crucial in the case, and if the victim leaves the country, they would find it difficult to call her back. Her absence could have a negative impact on the case. 

"We had recovered the girl's passport and other crucial documents a few days ago. However, we have asked her to wait for the identification parade," said Ramrao Pawar, additional commissioner of police (North region).

The case
The incident took place at around 1 am on December 26, when a rickshaw ride she took to reach her Mulund home.

The rickshaw driver halted his vehicle and picked up Nishat, his accomplice, and then took a turn to enter the forested area near the Aarey milk colony.

Nishat then stepped into the backseat and gagged her, forcing her jeans off. While one of the two strangled her, the other allegedly raped her. She managed to extricate herself from their grip, and ran towards a building that she spotted in the distance, where she was helped by locals, who took her to the local police station.