The Delhi High Court lifted the stay on Anubhav Sinha's film, 'Gulaab Gang', on Thursday. It has allowed the release of the film that is slated to hit the big screens today. The film’s distributors have now agreed to insert a disclaimer in the film.
Madhuri Dixit in a still from Gulaab Gang
It may be noted here that Sampat Pal, leader of Gulaabi Gang — a group of women vigilantes from north India — had filed a case against the filmmakers for not taking her permission before making the film. Pal had moved the Delhi High Court on Tuesday seeking a ban on the film; she alleged that the film was inspired from her life and
that certain scenes in the film may adversely affect her image. She had also demanded compensation.
However, the makers of the film have maintained that the film is a work of fiction and is not based on any real-life person. The Delhi High Court had earlier stayed the release of the film till May 8, following which Gulaab Gang’s makers filed an appeal on Thursday morning. Girish Johar, head- distribution and acquisition, Sahara Movie Studios, told hitlist, "We are going ahead and releasing the film as per the court's orders."
On the other hand, Pal was disappointed by the court's decision. She said, "Garibon ki koi sunwayee nahi hain (no one listens to the poor)." Her lawyer, Kush Sharma, said that they won’t lose hope. "We would not like to divulge any details, but the next hearing of the case is on Monday."
'Gulaab Gang', starring Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla, will release across the country in 1600 screens today. The film released in the overseas market on Thursday.