The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha was hearing a suo motu (on its own) petition based on news-reports on alleged sexual abuse of 35 minor girls at a Nashik shelter home.
The court was today informed that a case was registered against the five employees on March 25 and they were arrested.
However, a magistrate's court granted them bail on April 19. Irked, the Chief Justice said,"Our magistrates should take a serious view in such cases. We have earlier directed for expedition of trials in such cases."
The High Court also rapped the state government for not seeking cancellation of bail.
Advocate General Darius Khambata told the court that a show-cause notice had been issued to the trustees of the shelter home, asking why its licenses should not be revoked.
"Fifty-nine out of 62 inmates have been shifted to another shelter home in Pune. The remaining three are in their guardian's custody," Khambata said.
The court asked the government to produce a copy of the magistrate's bail order, adjourning the hearing till tomorrow.