Reasons given for these sudden break-ups included growing apart (22 per cent), having their eye on someone else (13 per cent)and feeling bored in and out of the bedroom (nine per cent).
Jo Hemmings, behavioural psychologist says: "After reaching the milestone of a year and half, bigger decisions start to loom for couples such as should they move in together and is this the person they want to spend the rest of their lives with.
Here, Jo gives us her top tips for bagging a beau and keeping him ...(according to a major newspaper report)
1. If you're single, resolve to do something new. Instead of thinking about internet, speed dating or buying a hot new outfit get out there and do it!
2. Need some guidance on your love life? Booking a session with a Dating or Relationship Coach could be just the boost and direction that you need.
3. Take the opportunity to clear out your underwear drawer and consign all greying, baggy bras and pants to the bin. High street stores do fabulous underwear these days - invest in something sexy!
4. Pep up things in the bedroom, by spicing things up a little.
5. Remind yourself that dating is about having fun. If you're stuck in a rut ask yourself 'Is it worth it?' and if you need to move on, remember that practice makes perfect.
6. Being interested in activities outside of work/looking for a partner is what makes you interesting. Taking your foot off the gas in trying to find a partner and doing other stuff that you enjoy is often a fast track to finding someone special.
7. Resolve to be firm but fair - letting someone down with a polite but clear message that you're not a match made in heaven, is better than being stuck on a second or third date because you don't want to upset them.
8. Next time your partner says 'What's up?' resolve not to say 'Nothing'. Learn to speak your mind firmly but tactfully and improve those important communication skills.
9. Resolve to improve your flirting skills. Flirting gets a lot of bad press, but done well to someone you fancy it's the most direct yet subtle message you can give and makes the other person feel great!
10. Be open minded about your potential partner. Don't be too picky with a long shopping list nor too random in your choices. Both are fruitless - restrict yourself to three 'must haves' and let the rest unfold naturally.