After shocking reports of the rape of two minor girls at the shelter, a third girl admitted to being raped by the prime accused
Just ten days after Shabbir A Bale (52) and his son Bablu Shabbir Bale (20) were arrested on charges of having raped two differently-abled girls at the Shirur shelter, a third girl at the facility has admitted to being raped by Shabbir.
house of horrors: Without the consistent presence of a female superintendent or counsellor, the Shirur home for girls has witnessed several horrific crimes against the young residents
The father-son duo were arrested by Shirur police on July 20, after two teenage girls said that they had been sexually abused by them over a period of eight months while they were at the shelter.
On Wednesday, during a counselling session, a third girl revealed that she, too, had been raped by the prime accused, Shabbir.
From her account, a clear pattern has emerged of the way the accused ensnared teenagers at the home. The third survivor, just like the first two who came forward, is also 14 years old.
She, too, had been asked to go to Shabbir’s house on the pretext of some household work, only to be sexually assaulted.
Originally from Mumbai, the survivor studies in Std VII in a nearby school in Shirur, and was recently admitted to the shelter.
She was raped by Shabbir in April this year, right after her final exams got over, she told officials from the Women and Child Welfare department.
During an investigation of the rape of the first two survivors from the shelter, the Child Welfare Committee had asked the other girls whether they had faced any misconduct by the accused. Although none of the girls had come forward then, the officials had believed that some would eventually muster enough courage to do so.
The shelter at Shirur houses 35 girls, out of which 10 are orphans. The home was being run without a full-time female superintendent and counsellor, while the daily monitoring was left to Shabbir, a junior clerk who was staying in a house next to the shelter.
Shabbir and his son were initially remanded in police custody till July 25, which was then extended to August 2 by the Special Court in Pune.