68 hospitalised after consuming breakfast in office canteen
Hyundai workers complained of cockroaches, worms and dead baby mice in the 'Kanda Pohe'
Sixty-eight employees working for Hyundai on Chakan-Talegaon road were admitted to Pawana hospital when they complained of stomach ache and vomiting after eating the breakfast provided in the office canteen yesterday. Till evening, many employees were discharged and 15 were kept under observation.
The employees were served ‘Kanda Pohe’ for breakfast yesterday and according to victims, cockroaches, worms and dead baby mice were found in it.
“The employees are admitted to Pavana Hospital at Somatane Phata. We are waiting for the Food and Drug Administration report and action would be taken based on the report findings,” said Pune Rural SP Manoj Kumar Lohia.
On the other hand, the company management has promised strict action against those involved. Spokesperson Krushnakant Patil said that the company has instituted an enquiry. “We are concerned about the health and safety of the employees and all necessary steps would be taken to ensure their safety. Besides, strong action would be taken against those who are found to be negligent in discharging their duties,” he said.
The company, engaged in production of construction-related equipments, is located in Chakan industrial belt on Chakan-Talegaon road and currently has 400 employees on its rolls. “We are keeping 15 people under observation,” said Dr Satyjeet Wadhokar, CEO of Pawana hospital.
“Officials from Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have reached to the spot and are investigating the matter,” said Shashikant Kekare, joint commissioner, FDA (food). According to the victims, they had complained about cockroaches and worms being found in the food in the past also and had reported the same to the company authorities but no action was taken.