I am a woman trapped in a male body

Dear Diana,
I'm a 21-year-old guy who, of late, has taken to wearing feminine clothes and make-up. My friends make fun of my androgynous personality. Even my parents are striking a word of caution. They want me to 'mend' my ways but I don't know how. I see nothing wrong with the way I am. The reason I'm writing to you is, for the last few days, I've been even giving sex operation a serious thought. This might be my last chance to mental freedom. But it is also the cause of my depression. I wish I was born a girl but I guess I'll make sure I'll die as one. 
-- K

Illustration/ Satish Acharya

Dear K,
You need big time counselling before you undergo a sex change operation. It requires immense psychological and emotional help. To begin with find people in a similar situation, their advice may be useful. You will also have to explain to your parents and friends the need to. It is not going to be easy task at all. A sex change operation is also extremely expensive. First seek proper medical help before you plan anything. At the same time, you have to ponder what made you suddenly feel like a woman. Was there any particular incident or reason? It appears from your letter that you did not find anything amiss in you all these years. So obviously your folks will react. You need to sit down and clear your muddled mind before taking any drastic step.

    Leave a Reply