London: Britain’s double Olympic and world champion Mo Farah insisted on Friday that he had never taken performance-enhancing drugs amid allegations that his coach had practised doping techniques on American training partner Galen Rupp.
“I have never taken performance enhancing drugs in my life and I never will,” said Farah, who skipped an outing over 1500m at the Birmingham Diamond League earlier this month to return to the United States to confront coach Alberto Salazar over doping allegations.
“Over the course of my career, I have taken hundreds of drugs tests and every single one has been negative,” the Somali-born Briton said in a statement.
The Daily Mail also reported on Thursday that Farah had missed two drug tests in the run-up to the 2012 London Games, where he won double gold in the 5000 and 10,000m. “I’ve fully explained the only two tests in my career that I have ever missed, which the authorities understood, and there was never any suggestion that these were anything more than simple mistakes,” Farah said.
UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) rules state that an athlete who misses three tests in any 12-month period (reduced from 18 months since 2013) can face a ban of up to four years.
“The last two weeks have been the toughest of my life — with rumours and speculation about me that are completely false — and the impact this has had on my family and friends has left me angry, frustrated and upset.
“The media pressure in particular, on my young family and my wife, who is five-months pregnant, is extremely painful, especially as I’m away training for some important races.