Dubai: The International Cricket Council (ICC) is happy with the security situation in Bangladesh ahead of the World Twenty20 slated March 16 to April 6.
The ICC in a statement said that its Board Wednesday received a report on the security situation in Bangladesh and feels progress has been made.
"The ICC Board received an update on the ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh that included a report from a recent security meeting in Dhaka and noted the positive progress that had been made," the ICC said in a statement on the second day of its board meeting.
Trouble began in Bangladesh after Islamist opposition leader Abdul Kader Mollah, who was close to the pro-Pakistan militia in 1971, was executed last month for killing more than 350 unarmed civilians during the freedom struggle.
The hanging sparked a series of protests ahead of the general elections by the opposition led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), which had close ties with Mollah, against the ruling Awami League.
There were doubts over the Asia Cup, but the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) had confirmed that the tournament won't be taken out of Bangladesh. The Asia Cup will be played from February 25-March 8.
Sri Lanka and Pakistan had earlier told ACC that they were not willing to play in Bangladesh, which was East Pakistan before gaining independence in 1971.
The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) last month called back their under-19 cricket team from Bangladesh citing security concerns during strikes and blockades after handmade bombs exploded in front of a Chittagong hotel where the team was staying.
Bangladesh has been rocked with clashes and explosions during opposition blockades and strikes since November 26.
The Sri Lankan cricket team is supposed to start their Bangladesh tour January 24 where they are scheduled to play two Test matches, two T20s and three ODIs prior to the Asia Cup.