Anil Mali was rushed to Vasai hospital after being bitten by a cobra on Friday
A fireman was bitten by a venomous snake, which locals claimed was a cobra, when he went to rescue it at Vasai on Friday.
Anil Mali has rescued over a 1,700 snakes, but this was the first time he was bitten by one. Pic/Hanif Patel
The 26-year-old had gone to rescue it from a house and was bitten on a finger of his right hand. He was rushed to a nearby hospital and was discharged yesterday.
Anil Ajay Mali, who stays at Bhaskar Wadi, Vasai, is attached to the fire brigade at Vasai division. After receiving a call about a cobra in a house at Rangao in Vasai East, Mali, his colleague Rupesh Shelar, and van driver Manoj Yadav reached the spot.
Shelar told mid-day, “It was a four-and-half-feet long cobra. After a few attempts, Mali grabbed it and put it into a bag. The snake bit his finger through the bag. I immediately tied a rope around his hand and sent him to the Sir DM Petit Municipal Hospital, Vasai West.”
Mali said, “I have been working as a fireman for the last six years and have rescued over 1,700 venomous and non-venomous snakes. But this is the first time that a snake bit me. After catching the cobra, I put it in a bag and it bit me from inside the bag. I then removed it and put it into a bottle. I am feeling fine and got discharged today [Sunday].”
>> Jitu Solanki (25), a resident of Gorai, was bitten by a snake and died earlier this month.
>> Santosh Shinde, an electrician by profession, died after suffering a snakebite in May at Versova.
SRK-Gauri anniversary: B-Town stars and their non-filmi better halves
Birthday special: Popular mothers and daughters in Bollywood
Spotted: 'Kaabil' star Hrithik Roshan with dad Rakesh Roshan
'Rock On 2' trailer launch: Farhan, Shraddha enthrall audience with live gig
Photos: Deepika Padukone, Sushmita Sen with daughters at Mumbai airport