Interesting trivia on legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh
On Indian ace sprinter and athlete Milkha Singh’s birthday, we let you in on some interesting facts about him.
- He is nicknamed the ‘Flying Sikh’. It was given to him by Ayub Khan, Pakistan President at the time.
- The only Indian athlete to break an Olympic record.
- His parents were killed during the Indo-Pak partition massacre.
- He was rejected by the Army thrice.
- Has been awarded the Padma Shri and Arjuna Award by the Government of India.
- He who won 77 of the 80 races he ran.
- The athlete’s son — Jeev Milkha Singh — is the highest ranked Indian golfer in the world.
- Milkha Singh was once jailed for travelling without a ticket.
- Rakeysh Om Prakash Mehra’s upcoming biopic on the athlete 'Bhaag Milkha Bhaag' will focus on his life from 1946 to 1960.
- He represented India in three Olympics.
- South African Malcolm Spence pipped Milkha Singh by 1/10th of a second for the bronze in the 400 metres at the 1960 Rome Olympics.
- When he won the gold medal in the 400m competition at the 1958 Cardiff Commonwealth Games, he became the first gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games from independent India.