Suspended cricketer Ankeet Chavan, an accused in the IPL spot-fixing scandal, surrendered before a Delhi court today on expiry of the one-week interim bail he was granted to solemnise his marriage.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma sent Chavan to judicial custody till June 18.
"Since the investigation agency does not require his custody any more, he is taken into judicial custody and remanded till June 18," the court said.
Chavan, meanwhile, also moved a fresh bail application today before a sessions court and it will come up for hearing tomorrow along with the bail pleas of Sreesanth and 15 others, who had all moved fresh bail pleas after being booked under stringent MCOCA.
The player was earlier granted interim bail by a Delhi court till June 6 for his marriage in Mumbai and told to surrender after the ceremonies.
Chavan moved a bail application in a sessions court after a magisterial court denied relief saying a social stigma that would come his way if he faied to attend his wedding could not be a ground to give him the concession.
Seeking interim bail, Chavan's lawyer said that cancellation of the wedding would cause harm to his reputation and that of the prospective bride.
"Marriage is a sacrosanct occasion which comes once in a lifetime. Chavan and his fiancee knew each other for the last four years and got engaged on July 1, 2012 at Mumbai. It was decided that marriage would take place immediately on completion of IPL," the lawyer said.
In his plea, Chavan also said that there was no direct evidence against him and he had been implicated.
Chavan and his teammates S. Sreesanth and Ajit Chandila were arrested in Mumbai by Delhi Police last month for their alleged involvement in spot fixing in matches for payments up to Rs.60 lakh for giving away pre-determined number of runs in an over.