It's official! Liverpool confirm Luis Suarez's move to Barcelona
Barcelona: Barcelona announced on Friday that they had struck a deal to sign Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez from Liverpool, sealing the transfer despite the uproar over him biting a World Cup rival.
Suarez "will be travelling to Barcelona next week for a medical, to sign his five-year contract and to be officially presented to the media and fans as an FC Barcelona player," the club said in a statement.
Barcelona announced on Friday that they had struck a deal to sign Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez from Liverpool. Pic/AFP
"It is with a heavy heart that I leave Liverpool for a new life and new challenges in Spain," he said in a statement published by Liverpool.
"This club did all they could to get me to stay, but playing and living in Spain, where my wife"s family live, is a lifelong dream and ambition. I believe now the timing is right."
Liverpool confirmed the deal on the club website. "Liverpool FC confirms that Luis Suarez will be leaving the club after a transfer agreement was reached with FC Barcelona," a statement read.
"The player now has permission to complete the usual formalities, which will then conclude the transfer.
"We would like to thank Luis for his contribution and the role he played in helping bring Champions League football back to Anfield.
"Everyone at Liverpool Football Club wishes Luis and his family well for the future."
No details of the fee nor how it is to be paid were disclosed and Suarez, currently serving a four-month ban for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup, is set to be confirmed as a Barcelona player next week.
Suarez bit Chiellini on June 24 in a 1-0 win over Italy which took Uruguay into the World Cup last 16 before they were knocked out by Colombia.
He was handed a four-month ban from all football activities, suspended from nine international matches and fined 100,000 Swiss francs ($112,000).
It was the third time in his career he had been found guilty of biting an opponent. He apologised for the bite in a Twitter message on June 30.
FIFA on Thursday dismissed appeals by Uruguay and Suarez over the ban but said he could still appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
If FIFA's ban is upheld, Suarez will not play football again until late October, well after the Spanish league restarts.
Barcelona on Thursday completed the sale of Chile's World Cup star Alexis Sanchez to Arsenal.
Suarez's signing furnishes the Catalan club with one of the most formidable strike forces in the world as he joins two other superstar forwards -- Argentina's Lionel Messi and Brazil's Neymar.
Barcelona have said goodbye to stalwarts such as Carles Puyol, goalkeeper Victor Valdes and midfielder Cesc Fabregas who has gone to Chelsea, and have made a series of new signings. These include two new goalkeepers, Claudio Bravo and Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, and Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic.