Mumbai: The Mumbai police today told the special court here, which is conducting trial in journalist J Dey murder case, that they had asked the government to transfer to CBI all the cases against underworld don Chhota Rajan where the trials have already started.
Judge A L Pansare had earlier noted that though Maharashtra government had handed over all the cases against Rajan to CBI, its notification was silent on ongoing trials.
"The police today told the court that they have asked the government to include the word 'trial' in the notification," said special public prosecutor Dileep Shah.
The next hearing is on December 22. Meanwhile, the court today recorded the statement of a prosecution witness who had made a sketch of the spot after Dey's murder.
Rajan, shown as an absconding accused in the Dey murder case, was arrested at Bali airport in Indonesia on October 25 after he arrived from Australia, and was deported to India.
Maharashtra government has handed over all the cases against him to CBI, citing the central agency's expertise in handling "transnational crimes."
Dey, a veteran crime reporter, was shot dead in suburban Powai on June 11, 2011. In December 2011 police filed a charge sheet against the arrested accused Satiah Kaliya , Abhijeet Shinde, Arun Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Anil Waghmode, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh Agawane, Vinod Asrani, Paulson Joseph and Deepak Sisodia. Later a separate charge sheet was filed against the journalist Jigna Vora who is now out on bail.
Rajan was allegedly upset with two articles written by Dey and therefore ordered his killing. Vora allegedly instigated him, owing to her own professional rivalry with Dey.
Photos: Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Alia Bhatt at an awards show
Photos: Big B, Iulia Vantur at Himesh Reshammiya's album launch
Photos: Aamir Khan with 'Dangal' actresses at fashion show
Spotted: Twinkle Khanna, Shriya Saran at an event in Mumbai
Andrew Flintoff's birthday: 10 players who entered different sports