New Delhi: CBI has taken over investigations in the four-year old murder case of senior journalist J Dey in Mumbai, making it first of the 71 cases, referred to it by Maharashtra Government against gangster Chhota Rajan, to be probed by it.
The FIR registered by CBI does not name Chhota Rajan as a suspect because according to the rules, CBI re-registers FIR filed by local police.
Since Mumbai Police did not name Chhota Rajan in its FIR and included his role as an accused only at charge sheet stage, CBI also re-registered the FIR to initiate its probe.
After Chhota Rajan was nabbed in Bali on Interpol Red Notice in November last year and was brought to Delhi by CBI on December 6, 2015, Maharashtra Government had transferred all the 71 cases against him to the Central agency.
The murder of mid-day crime and investigation editor 56-year old Jyotirmoy Dey was one of the prominent cases in which Rajan's had was suspected. Dey was shot dead by motorcycle-borne shooters on June 11, 2011 at 15.30 hours, allegedly at the behest of Rajan.
Four persons on two mobikes fired at least four to five rounds at Dey, who was also riding a bike, from behind near Spectra Building at D Mart in Hiranandani area of Powai.
After the attack, he was rushed to nearby Hiranandani hospital where he was declared brought dead. Police had claimed the shooters fled the spot after firing.
Mumbai Police had filed charge sheet against Chhota Rajan and his aide Nayan Singh Bisht, shown as absconding, Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya, Abhijeet Shinde, Arun Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Anil Waghmode, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh Agawane, Vinod Asrani, Paulson Joseph and Deepak Sisodia under MCOCA charges in 2011.
The police had also charge sheeted another journalist Jigna Vora and another accused Deepak Sisodia in 2012. According to the 3,055-page charge sheet, Vora allegedly instigated Rajan to execute Dey owing to professional rivalry.
Police said Chhota Rajan, who was upset with two articles written by Dey that purportedly portrayed him in bad light, is suspected to have ordered his elimination.
In a statement, CBI Press Information Officer R K Gaur said the agency took up the investigation of the case which was earlier registered at Powai Police Station in Mumbai (FIR No. 256/2011 dated 11.6.2011).
"The Maharashtra Police has filed charge sheet against ten accused persons on December 03, 2011 and also showing two persons as 'wanted accused' and further filed supplementary charge sheet against one accused on February 21, 2012 in the designated court at Mumbai," Gaur said.