Jalebis, the deep-fried sweets soaked in sugar syrup, are a favourite for those with a sweet tooth. Pune boasts of a number of eateries that serve amazing Jalebis.
One such store is the Kadhai store on FC Road where Jalebis are served with Rabdi and is frequented by youngsters in the city. The Chitale Sweet Shop also offers Jalebis made in pure ghee.
Says Anmey Kulkarni, a student of FC College, “I love to eat Jalebis anytime anywhere but my favourite is the Chitale Jalebi. Made in pure ghee it tastes delicious, it is soft and not too sweet so one can eat a lot of them.”
Jalebis are also commonly as part of the various celebrations such as weddings and festivals. Says Pankaj S, co-owner of Pankaj Sweet Shop, “Every Sunday, we have a bevy of people who come here to eat Jalebis and during the winter season, we get a lot of crowd.” A tip he gives is that eating Jalebi first thing in the morning without eating anything else helps reduce acidity.
Recipe for Jalebi
1 lb Maida
3 cups Ghee
2 lbs Sugar
1 liter Water
1/2 tsp Saffron
2 (use inner seeds only) Cardamom
1. With the maida (flour) and sufficient cold water, make a batter. The consistency should be similar to that of thick cream. Let it stand in a warm place for 24 hours to ferment.
2. When ready, take a deep pan and bring to boil ghee or any other cooking oil. Fill an ordinary small funnel (with your finger over the outlet) with the batter, and when your hand is over the middle of the pan, remove your finger and let the batter run into continuous double circles or figure eight. (May require a little practice)
3. Make about six to eight jalebis depending on the size of your pan and allow to set, and turn them. They should be fried joined on to one another.
4. When quite crisp and of a pale biscuit colour, separate Jalebis and put them in flavoured syrup. After two or three minutes take the Jalebis out of the syrup and drain.
5. For the syrup: Boil water. Add sugar, saffron and cardamom seeds and boil till syrup turns thick. Keep syrup warm.
Spotted: Aditya Roy Kapur with his mother in Bandra
In pictures: Bollywood celebs who share birthdays
'Kahaani 2' trailer launch photos: Vidya Balan takes an auto ride
Photos: Priyanka Chopra's family, celebs watch 'Ventilator' at MAMI
Photos: Raveena Tandon, Sohail Khan at Marathi film 'Bhay' music launch