From stand-up comic to superstar: 10 interesting facts about Jim Carrey
Did you know Jim Carrey's daughter had auditioned for 'American Idol'? Or that Jim Carrey has written a children's book? As the Canadian-born actor turns 55, we dig up some interesting facts and trace his journey from being a stand-up comedian to becoming Hollywood's superstar
Jim Carrey. Pic/Santa Banta
1. Jim Carrey was first noticed by comedian Rodney Dangerfield, who signed him to open his tour performances. Dangerfield eventually brought Carrey to Las Vegas.
2. Jim Carrey moved from Las Vegas to Hollywood, where he began performing at 'The Comedy Store'. In 1982, Carrey appeared on the televised stand-up show 'An Evening at the Improv' and made his debut on 'The Tonight Show' the following year.
3. Despite his popularity as a stand-up comedian, Jim Carrey turned his focus to films and television. He auditioned to be a cast member on 'Saturday Night Live' for its 1980-81 season but wasn't selected. Carrey, however, ended up hosting the show in May 1996, January 2011 and October 2014.
4. Damon Wayans, Jim Carrey's co-star in 'Earth Girls Are Easy' (1989), introduced Carrey to his brother Keenan, who was creating the sketch comedy show 'In Living Color' (1990-1994). Carrey landed a recurring role on the show and set the stage for his Hollywood stardom. His performances included a multitude of characters with quirky traits and celebrity impersonations.
5. 1994 was a breakthrough year for Jim Carrey. He was cast in the lead roles in 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective', 'The Mask' and 'Dumb and Dumber', all of which were successful films.
6. In March 2013, Jim Carrey revealed that he had written a children's book titled 'How Roland Rolls'. Carrey self-published the book and it was released in September 2013.
7. Canada Post honoured Jim Carrey on August 29, 2014 with a limited-edition postage stamp with his portrait on it.
8. Jim Carrey was a co-producer of 'Rubble Kings', a 2015 documentary that depicts events preceding and following the Hoe Avenue peace meeting.
9. Jim Carrey's daughter Jane Erin Carrey (from his first marriage to Melissa Womer) was a contestant on the 'American Idol' in 2012.
Watch her audition here!
10. Jim Carrey has earned six Golden Globe nominations and two wins. He won Best Actor (Drama) for 'The Truman Show' (1998) and Best Actor (Comedy/Musical) for 'Man on the Moon' (1999). Carrey, however, is yet to be nominated for an Academy Award.