Kallicharran says SRK was at fault to abuse guard

Former West Indian captain Alvin Kallicharran says he would love to return to India, but also adds laughingly, “hoping not to be unrecognised at the Wankhede Stadium.”

Alvin Kallicharran during a visit to India in 1995. 

The Guyanese batting legend was once stopped at the Wankhede Stadium. “Yes, that was during my first trip to your country in 1974. But that was no fault of the security guard. I looked like an Indian to him and he initially disallowed me to enter,” he told MiD DAY from New Carolina, where he is on a coaching assignment.  “I don’t remember too much about it now, but ultimately all went well,” said the 64-year-old Kallicharran.

Shah Rukh Khan in a rage on Wednesday night. Pic/MiD DAY Archives, AFP

Guard did his job
Only after intervention of the then Bombay Cricket Association (BCA) president S K Wankhede was he allowed to attend the practice session. After nets, Kallicharran searched for the same guard and gave him some cash for doing his job.

Kallicharran, who returned to India as West Indies skipper in 1978-79, was not aware of Mumbai Cricket Association slapping a five-year ban on Shah Rukh Khan for abusing officials at the Wankhede Stadium last week. “It is sad, disappointing and unfortunate to hear this. The guard did his job and SRK should not have misbehaved with him,” Kallicharran said.

“It may have been a bad day for SRK. But I think he loves the game. He is an owner of an IPL team and the MCA should reconsider its decision,” felt Kallicharran.

When informed that the five-year ban had already been imposed, he said, “it is never too late. The concerned parties should sit together and resolve the problem. Just like, I didn’t take it seriously, SRK too should not have overreacted.”  

You May Like



    Leave a Reply