Opener Simon Katich could be in line for a shock recall to Australia's Test team, reports said Friday, just weeks after being disciplined for outspoken comments about captain Michael Clarke.
The 36-year-old was reprimanded by a Cricket Australia hearing this month after he accused Clarke of playing a part in his axing from the Australian team, despite averaging 45 runs in his 56 Tests.
Katich was controversially dropped from Cricket Australia's contract list in June and he said at the time he doubted he would play for his country again as long as Clarke was skipper.
But Channel Nine, which televises cricket in Australia, said Clarke was now behind a push to reinstate Katich as the team looks to address their batting woes after a humiliating defeat to New Zealand earlier this week.
Katich's manager Robert Joske told reporters the player would be "willing, ready and able" to assume a place in the top order if selectors recalled him for the Boxing Day Test against India.
"If it's the fact that Michael is talking about Simon in the selection committee meetings I'm very excited and I'm sure Simon would be excited when he hears about it," said Joske.
"The coach and the chairman of selectors both said the door was always open to Simon and probably now is a very good time for him to walk through it."
The potential upturn in Katich's fortunes coincides with a slump in form for opener Phillip Hughes, who scored 41 over four innings against New Zealand and appears likely to lose his place in the Test side.
Katich has previously said he traced his troubles to a 2009 dressing room confrontation with Clarke in which he reportedly grabbed the new skipper by the throat.
Clarke denied playing any part in Katich's axing.