Nairobi: Kenyan rescuers pulled an 18-month-old toddler alive from the rubble of a six-storey building yesterday, four days after the block collapsed killing 23 people, police said.

“Good news!” Kenya Red Cross said. “A child aged about one and half years rescued alive at 0400 hours (0630 IST) and referred to Kenyatta National Hospital.” The Red Cross said the little girl was found “in a bucket wrapped in a blanket” and was dehydrated but without visible physical injuries.

She had been there for 80 hours since the building, which was home to 150 families crammed into single rooms, collapsed on Friday night. Nairobi police chief Japheth Koome called it a “miracle’ and said the emergency services were continuing their rescue efforts.

Located in the poor, tightly packed Huruma neighbourhood, the building, which collapsed last Friday had been slated for demolition after being declared structurally unsound. But an evacuation order for the structure, which was built near a river just two years ago, was ignored. Five people were scheduled to appear in court yesterday to face manslaughter charges over the incident.