London: Kevin Pietersen has said Andrew Strauss must restore public confidence after a "treacherous 15 months" should the former captain be appointed as English cricket's new supremo.
Strauss appears to be the front-runner to fill the new position of England director of cricket, a post created by the England and Wales Cricket Board last month following Paul Downton's sacking as managing director.
Pietersen, the retired Strauss's predecessor as England captain, was briefly barred from the side after text messages critical of his then skipper emerged during the 2012 home series with South Africa. Pietersen returned to England duty later that year but the star batsman has been in international exile since the team returned from their 5-0 Ashes thrashing in Australia last year.
However, he has been given hope of a recall in time for this year's Ashes, when he will be 35, by incoming ECB chairman Colin Graves, who said Pietersen could be selected for England again if he made enough runs in county cricket. "I hope Strauss & ECB bring the public back to the team after a treacherous 15 months," Pietersen told the BreatheSport website.
"They owe it to the fans! He has some HUGE decisions. Hope he gets them right..." A key decision facing the new England director is the future of coach Peter Moores, whose position has come under scrutiny following a World Cup where the team failed to beat a single Test nation and the subsequent drawn series in the West Indies -- a side Graves labelled "mediocre".
Strauss is the favourite for a job that also attracted the interest of his fellow former England captains Alec Stewart and Michael Vaughan. However, there may be no official announcement until after England's lone one-day international against Ireland in Dublin on Friday.