North Korea said on Wednesday it is considering plans for a missile strike on the US Pacific territory of Guam' just hours after President Donald Trump told the North that any threat to the United States would be met with "fire and fury".
North Korea said it was "carefully examining" a plan to strike Guam' which is home to about 1'63'000 people and a US military base that includes a submarine squadron' an airbase and a Coast Guard group. A Korean People's Army spokesman said in a statement carried by state-run KCNA news agency the plan would be put into practice at any moment' once leader Kim Jong Un made a decision.
Guam Governor Eddie Calvo dismissed the threat and said the island was prepared for "any eventuality" with strategically placed defences. He said he had been in touch with the White House and there was no change in the threat level. "Guam is American soil ... We are not just a military installation'" said Calvo.
North Korea' which is pursuing missile and nuclear weapons programmes in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions' also accused the United States of devising a "preventive war" and said in another statement that any plans to execute this would be met with an "all-out war' wiping out all the strongholds of enemies' including the US mainland".
'My first order as President was to modernize our nuclear arsenal. It is now stronger and more powerful than ever before'
1.63 Lakh Population of Guam
Watch Video: Youngsters fall to their death at Amboli Ghat
Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go https://goo.gl/8Xlcvr