Kurla hotel blaze: 'False ceiling collapsed on diners'

Blatant irregularities at City Kinara, in total defiance of safety rules, included stored cylinders and pantry in Family Room on mezzanine where the unfortunate 8 were seated

City Kinara, a Chinese restaurant in Kurla West, is like several others in our megalopolis. It serves addictive Indian Chinese, and has been running to a packed house despite glaring irregularities.

Also read: Eight killed in cylinder blast at Mumbai hotel; 5 students missing

Kurla fire

The fire that broke out at the ground-plus-one eatery on Friday afternoon between 12.30 pm and 1 pm, and claimed eight young lives, was a tragedy waiting to happen. A number of illegal alterations had been made in the structure, it stored two gas cylinders on the mezzanine floor, and didn’t have a single fire extinguisher fitted to battle an emergency. The fire brigade claimed it had never visited the establishment for an inspection, and the ward officer wasn’t aware, when this reporter approached him, if the cylinders were stored illegally and against the rules. Residents from surrounding buildings spoke in whispers about flouting of rules, but none of them had taken the initiative to file a written complaint with the BMC.

The damaged roof
The damaged roof. Pic/Datta Kumbhar

Established in the 1960s, City Kinara changed hands about 10 years ago, when Sharad Tripathi took over its management. It gradually transformed into a ground-plus-one structure, becoming a popular snack joint for students of the nearby Don Bosco College, Vidyavihar. While the lower level housed two tables alongside the kitchen, the upper floor held four. Two gas cylinders were also stored on the mezzanine, with pipes connecting them to the kitchen downstairs. Although initial reports oscillated between a short circuit and cylinder blast as causes for the fire, it was later revealed that a gas leak had led to the tragedy. That the interiors featured wood, RCC and PoP, made the fire spread furiously while the unfortunate eight diners lay trapped.

Also read: Mumbai hotel blaze - A terrible tragedy that could've been worse

The police cordon off the site after the blast
The police cordon off the site after the blast

Ravindra Palkar, resident of a chawl that stands behind the restaurant, says he spotted a hand sticking out of one of the windows at the rear end of the mezzanine, flailing. It was one of those trapped asking for help. “Suddenly, the glass window shattered, and smoke bellowed out. It must have been just past 12.30 pm. I could see someone’s hand and hear screams. We quickly shut off the gas and electric supply at the chawl,” he said.

With two fire engines and two water tankers arriving at the spot, the fire was doused within an hour. The tin roof, walls and furniture were all charred, say onlookers.

Kurla hotel blaze: 'False ceiling collapsed on diners'The shattered window of the hotel. Pic/Datta Kumbhar

Shyam Sonar, an electrician who works in the neighbourhood, said, “We alerted others around when we spotted smoke, and threw buckets of water.”

K V Hivrale, deputy chief fire officer, said he was unable to confirm if the fire broke out due to a gas leak or a short circuit. "There were two cylinders on the top floor, in complete contravention of rules. One of them was empty when we checked it. Maybe that’s the one responsible for the leak."

Hivrale pointed out that the staircase leading from the ground level to the mezzanine was illegal, and loose wiring hanging from the walls and ceiling of the Family Room housed on the top floor made for a dangerous setting.

When asked if the local fire station should have run regular checks, he confessed that it wasn’t practical for an already overburdened fire brigade. Will the brigade launch a drive against smaller establishments that tend to flout rules governing safety, we asked. The municipal commissioner will decide that, he said.

Kurla hotel blaze: 'False ceiling collapsed on diners'Police at the site. Pic/Datta Kumbhar

Meanwhile, the civic authorities seemed to have been caught off guard, claiming they had little idea whether the establishment supported irregularities. “The restaurant itself was not illegal. But I am not sure how many cylinders were stored in there with necessary permissions. There might be other irregularities too, but they will have to be investigated,” said Prashant Sapkale, assistant municipal commissioner, L Ward.

Kurla hotel blaze: 'False ceiling collapsed on diners'Forensic experts at the site. 

Also read: Kurla hotel fire - Identifying victims was a big challenge

Assistant Commissioner of Police (Kurla division) Srirang Nadgauda, confirmed the gas leak. "Preliminary investigation has revealed that apart from having a main kitchen on the ground floor, the restaurant had a pantry on the mezzanine, which also supported a piped gas connection, apart from housing two spare cylinders. One of these was leaking and went unnoticed," he said. The waiter who was attending to the eight customers had stepped down at the fateful moment when the fire broke. "Moments later, it is believed that the gas had spread across the mezzanine and suddenly, due to a short circuit in the wires, a fire engulfed the area. The false ceiling collapsed on the diners. They had no opportunity to escape. Everything was over within minutes," he added.

Kurla hotel blaze: 'False ceiling collapsed on diners'Police inspect the site. Pic/Datta Kumbhar

A case has been registered under sections 304 (2) (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and 285 (Negligent conduct with respect to explosive substance) of Indian Penal Code against Tripathi. “We are yet to arrest him,” said Nadgauda.

Deven Bharti, Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), confirmed that an FIR had been filed against the owner of the restaurant under Section 304 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code.

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

2 Comments

  • Marian DeSouza19-Oct-2015

    Culpable homicide NOT AMOUNTING TO MURDER? There is no way in hell that it doesn’t amount to murder, unless you know a human being that can handle over 2000 degrees of heat. The manager knew the minute he stored those bloody cylinders up there it was a dangerous situation, he went and shut off the power before he fled, he knew about the dangerous wiring! AND NOW HES GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER. My cousin didn’t deserve her fate nor did the others. How many other innocents have to lose their lives?

  • Anil Pais17-Oct-2015

    It is useless trying to highlight the irregularities now. Innocent lives have been lost due to the blatant irregularities. What were there relevant regulatory bodies doing all along. Those responsible including people in authority at BMC and other goverment bodies should be hauled up and made liable for this tragedy. Who knows how many such Kinara fires are waiting to happen in other parts of our city due to the callous attitude of the various BMC departments?

Leave a Reply