Yerawada jail authorities say that with latest extension, the Bollywood actor has used up his quota of 90-day parole for a year thus making him ineligible for further leaves
Though Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt’s plea for extension of his parole by another 30 days was sanctioned by the divisional commissioner’s office yesterday, Deputy Commissioner Tukaram Pawar said it was the last extension the actor would get for this year. “As per rules, a parole cannot be granted for more than 90 days in a year and this is his (Dutt’s) last application that has been sanctioned for the year,” Pawar said.
Sanjay Dutt. File pic
Dutt, who is serving a 42-month sentence in Yerawada Central Jail for illegal possession of arms, was initially released on a month-long parole from December 21 to January 21, following which the administration granted him an extension till February 21.
He once again submitted an application last week, seeking further extension of his parole citing wife Maanyata’s illness. Dutt will now remain out of jail until March 21.
“Sanjay Dutt sought parole extension citing his wife’s ill health, who has already undergone two operations in the last few days,” Pune divisional commissioner Prabhakar Deshmukh said.
Jail authorities claimed the parole extension was granted only after receiving a mandatory report from the Mumbai police, which includes medical report on Maanyata’s illness given by a three-member doctors panel.
A source claimed Dutt sought extension due to his wife’s failing health, as she was earlier diagnosed with a tumour in the liver and a suspected heart ailment. He rubbished the speculations that it was a tactic implemented by the actor to stay out of jail.
The actor was granted a 15-day furlough last August, which was extended by another fortnight. Soon after returning to the jail in October, Dutt filed an application for parole in December. This triggered protests outside the prison, forcing the government to order an inquiry into the matter. The actor was finally granted parole on December 21, 2013.
54-year-old Dutt was convicted by the Supreme Court in 2013 for his role in 1993 Mumbai blasts case under the Arms Act for illegal possession of weapons. He was sentenced to a five-year jail term, of which the actor has already served 18 months. Dutt surrendered before the TADA court in Mumbai in the first week of May 2013 after his conviction and was sent to Yerawada Central jail to serve the remaining 42 months of his sentence.
Comments will be moderated and allowed if they are relevant to the article and not abusive in nature. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *