Late Syedna's half-brother gets threat mails, SMSes

Jan 23, 2014, 07:57 IST | Vinay Dalvi

Khuzaima Qutbuddin, who declared himself as the next spiritual head of the Dawoodi Bohra community, has been granted security cover of five constables and a police officer

Late Syedna and (right) Qutbuddin
Late Syedna and (right) Qutbuddin

The tug-of-war over the successor to Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin, who passed away on Friday, has taken another twist.

Khuzaima Qutbuddin, who declared himself as the next spiritual head of the Dawoodi Bohra community, has been granted security of five constables and an officer following threats from unknown people.

The Vartak Nagar (Thane) police granted security to Qutbuddin, a resident of Thane, after he complained of threats via e-mail and text messages.

Confirming the same, Balasaheb Patil, deputy commissioner of police, Thane, said, “We have given him security as he told us that he had received intimidating mails and text messages.”

Succession war
Following the Syedna’s demise after a cardiac arrest, his second son Muffadal Bhaisaheb Saifuddin was considered the next head, as he had been anointed in 2011. But Qutbuddin posted on his website (http://fatemidawat.com) that he was the real successor and declared himself as the 53rd Dai-ul-Mutlaq. Following his claims, there were rumours that the community was planning on ex-communicating Qutbuddin but no one confirmed the news.

Go to top