New York: Australian Lleyton Hewitt suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Bernard Tomic of Germany in the second round of his final US Open campaign in New York on Friday.
Hewitt, who was playing his last US Open, was beaten 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 5-7, 7-5 by the 24th-ranked in three hours and 27 minutes.
Reacting to his defeat, Hewitt said he was satisfied to be part of a decent match, Sport24 reports.
Tomic said he considered Hewitt as a great legend, and added that he did find it difficult to play against him.
Hewitt had earlier announced that he will retire from tennis after the Australian Open in January 2016.