The Anti-Corruption Bureau of Maharashtra has sought permission of the state government to launch an inquiry into a complaint of alleged corruption against public works (PWD) Minister Chhagan Bhujbal in the construction of the Maharashtra Sadan in Delhi, a top ACB official said today.
"We have written to the state government asking for permission to begin the inquiry into the corruption allegation against Bhujbal as we have received a written complaint from BJP's Kirit Somaiya against the minister," Raj Khilnani, Additional Director General, told PTI.
Somaiya had alleged Bhujbal had misused his official position and awarded the contract for construction of the state guest house in Delhi's Lutyen's zone to companies owned by his family members and associates.
The Minister, has, however, rejected the allegation.
According to Somaiya, the ACB had written a letter to Additional Chief Secretary (Home) on July 18 this year seeking permission to proceed with the investigation against Bhujbal. However, responding to a query by Somaiya, a BJP national secretary and former MP, Rajesh Kumar More, Additional Commissioner of ACB informed him on September 1 that the go-head for the probe hadn't yet been received.
In his complaint to ACB, the BJP leader had accused Bhujbal, his friends and family-owned companies of being involved in several non-transparent and corrupt transactions, using a web of firms to park the money earned through illegal means.
Bhujbal had, however, rubbished the accusations, saying, "BJP had earlier labelled it as a Rs 100-crore scam. They later dubbed it as a Rs 1000-crore scam and now have further raised stakes. The fact is there is no scam at all."