The Bangur Nagar Police has arrested the mother of the 35-year-old man who was stabbed to death at his flat in Malad on Tuesday. The police claim to have cracked the case after placing the mother — who is also the complainant in the case — under arrest. The mother was produced before the court yesterday and has been remanded in police custody till December 17.

Mumbai Crime: 35-year-old man stabbed to death at Malad home

Bharat Nepali, the ex-driver, has been absconding since the day Ronald D’souza (left) was murdered.
Bharat Nepali, the ex-driver, has been absconding since the day Ronald D’souza (left) was murdered.

Bharat and Deepak Nepali, the other accused are absconding. Their last location was traced to Lonavla. The police have made two teams to catch them. The mother, Cecelia D’Souza, who was allegedly in a relationship with her driver, Bharat Nepali, went to the extent of getting her son killed after he began protesting against the relationship.

The confession
Cops claimed that during interrogation, Cecelia confessed that she made the plan to kill her only son. She wanted him out of the way so that she could continue her relationship with Bharat Nepali, her former driver. An officer from Bangur Nagar Police station said that the 54-year-old was continuously questioned because she was the prime suspect in the case.

Cops suspected Cecelia after going through her building Pai Mansion’s CCTV footage. They saw her handing over the flat keys to Bharat and Deepak, and began probing on those lines. The probe also revealed that Cecelia had recently purchased a SIM card, from which she called the accused before the murder to confirm her son’s death.

On the day of incident, Cecelia had given her flat’s keys to Bharat Nepali and his colleague Deepak Nepali. They had been asked to enter the flat before Ronald. The accused attacked Ronald as soon as he stepped foot inside the house. He was stabbed with sharp weapons, resulting in immediate death.

The deceased was found in a pool of blood with stab injuries on his chest, thigh and leg. He was stabbed about six times by the accused. His mobile phone and gold chain were missing from the spot; the murderers had touched nothing else. After the murder, Cecelia entered the flat and tried to clear as much evidence as possible. Later, she went to her neighbours and alerted the police around 11 pm.

Cecelia also knew that her son had sold one of his three flats in Vasai and had the cash in the house. The accused planned to use the money after his death. During questioning, the police learnt from the watchman that after Cecelia went on a night walk, their driver Bharat had entered the building with Deepak.” Interestingly, there is also a bank transaction between her and the driver wherein she had transferred an unknown amount into his account.