Kolkata: A fire broke out in West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's hotel room in Malda district Thursday evening but she was evacuated in time and is safe, party leaders said.
"She was in the room when the fire broke...She is safe," tweeted Trinamool national spokesperson Derek O'Brien.
West Bengal CM and TMC chief Mamata Banerjee
The police said that at around 6.40 pm the AC in the room caught fire while she was inside the toilet.
She felt uneasy after inhaling the smoke as she shouted the name of an aide Joydeep for help.
State transport minister Madan Mitra, who accompanied the CM in her campaigning with filmstar-turned-TMC MP Mithun Chakraborty, said, “After hearing the cries of Banerjee, Joydeep rushed to Banerjee’s help and wrapped her with a blanket, pulling her out of the room. The room was filled with smoke.”
Safe and unhurt
The police said that a doctor came soon and examined her. Fire tenders arrived soon and extinguished the fire.
According to Mitra, Banerjee is unhurt and safe.
An investigation is on into the incident, the police said adding they suspected a short circuit behind the fire.
Madan Mitra said that there was a ‘conspiracy’ behind the fire. Mitra said that while Banerjee was in the first floor room, he was in the third floor along with Mithun when the incident took place.
Photos: Akshara Haasan, Vivaan Shah at 'Laali Ke Shaadi Mein Laaddoo...'
Photos: Esha Gupta promotes 'Commando 2' in Mumbai
6 times famous people got into trouble because of number plates
Photos: Urvashi Rautela, Zoya Afroz at an event in Delhi
Photos: Celebs look super sexy in racy gowns at Oscars after-party