Kolkata: A fire broke out in West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's hotel room in Malda district Thursday evening but she was evacuated in time and is safe, party leaders said.
"She was in the room when the fire broke...She is safe," tweeted Trinamool national spokesperson Derek O'Brien.
West Bengal CM and TMC chief Mamata Banerjee
The police said that at around 6.40 pm the AC in the room caught fire while she was inside the toilet.
She felt uneasy after inhaling the smoke as she shouted the name of an aide Joydeep for help.
State transport minister Madan Mitra, who accompanied the CM in her campaigning with filmstar-turned-TMC MP Mithun Chakraborty, said, “After hearing the cries of Banerjee, Joydeep rushed to Banerjee’s help and wrapped her with a blanket, pulling her out of the room. The room was filled with smoke.”
Safe and unhurt
The police said that a doctor came soon and examined her. Fire tenders arrived soon and extinguished the fire.
According to Mitra, Banerjee is unhurt and safe.
An investigation is on into the incident, the police said adding they suspected a short circuit behind the fire.
Madan Mitra said that there was a ‘conspiracy’ behind the fire. Mitra said that while Banerjee was in the first floor room, he was in the third floor along with Mithun when the incident took place.
Photos: Shraddha Kapoor, Kim Sharma at 'Haseena Parkar' screening
Mumbai to Goa train: First look at the glass-top Vistadome coach
Shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa keeps it short and sexy on social media
Photos: Narendra Modi, others at Marshal Arjan Singh's funeral
Photos: Sussanne Khan and Nimrat Kaur spotted at a spa in Juhu