Man City fans fume after Argentine star refused to come on as sub in 0-2 loss against Bayern
Carlos Tevez's apparent refusal to play for Manchester City last night has been met with "disgust" by some of the club's supporters who travelled to Munich.
City boss Roberto Mancini claimed that the Argentina striker refused to go on as a substitute in the Champions League tie against Bayern Munich, which City lost 2-0 on late Tuesday night.
Asking for trouble: Carlos Tevez. Pic/Getty Images
Fans inside the Allianz Arena were left baffled as reports of the events seeped through and Dave Wallace, editor of the King of the Kippax fanzine, said: "We were in the ground and wondering why (Mancini) wasn't bringing Tevez on. Then the word went round that he's refused to come on and everyone was pretty shocked and surprised, pretty disgusted really.
"At 2-0, we could have still saved the game, and most fans who I spoke to the reaction was 'it's a disgrace and he should never play for the club again'.
"City fans had paid a lot to go over there and got up at 3am, and it's just not on. There's not a lot of sympathy among City fans for him."
Tevez issued a statement this morning blaming a "misunderstanding" and denying that he refused to play.
But Wallace continued: "If he didn't refuse to play then why didn't he strip off and get on the field? I don't understand that. He's obviously just having a few second thoughts now."
Manchester City's Carlos Tevez has courted controversy with each of his transfers since leaving Boca Juniors.
* 2004: Joins Brazilian side Corinthians from Boca Juniors in an US dollars 18million ( �11.5m) deal.
* 2007: March -- Seven months after joining West Ham, the club is charged for breaching the Premier League rules in relation to signing players with third-party agreements.
April -- West Ham are fined �5.5million with the verdict also ruling the registration of Tevez can be terminated.
August -- West Ham reached a �2million settlement with Tevez's representatives, allowing him to leave the club for Manchester United.
* 2009: May -- Accuses United of showing him a lack of respect and states his desire to leave the club.
July -- Completes move to Manchester City.
* 2010: April -- Roberto Mancini tells Tevez he can leave if he is not happy at Man City.
December -- Just days after Tevez claims he is happy at City despite missing his children, he hands in a written transfer request which is rejected.
* 2011: Confirms his intention to leave City. Agreement is reached with former club Corinthians for �40million transfer only for deal to collapse.