Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne ruled out after injury

London: Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne said Thursday he will be sidelined for 10 weeks after injuring his knee and ankle in the League Cup semi-final win over Everton. "Just got back from the specialist. I'll be out for around 10 weeks," the Belgian wrote on Twitter.

Kevin De Bruyne
Kevin De Bruyne

"I'll work hard on my recovery and hope to be back on the pitch asap. Thank you all for the supportive messages!" Earlier Thursday, de Bruyne's agent, Patrick de Koster, said his client would likely be out for only six weeks. His extended absence will now rule him out of the February 28 League Cup final against Liverpool as well as the two-legged Champions League last 16 clash against Dinamo Kiev.

He could also struggle to be fit for the Champions League quarter-finals in April should City get that far. The Belgian scored an important if controversial goal, when he turned in a pull-back from Raheem Sterling that appeared to have gone out of play, and set up another after coming on as substitute during City's 3-1 second leg win over Everton at the Etihad on Wednesday.

But towards the end of the match, the 24-year-old appeared to get his studs caught in the turf and then landed on his knee before City completed their 4-3 aggregate victory. De Koster said the Belgian star had been devastated by the injury news. "Kevin is sad. His dream is to always be playing football. He will miss games like the League Cup final and in the Champions League, which are important," de Koster told Sky Sports News when it was believed the absence would be just six weeks.

"But he knows they (City) are a good team, that the other players will do what they have to do, and maybe win the game for him, and also that (injuries) is what happens in football. "He is sad, of course, but he told me, 'this (happens) in a match, (it is something) which can happed in football, and the only thing I can do is to work hard and to come back'."

You May Like



    Leave a Reply