Next

MG Rd walking plaza plan to be reviewed on Monday

PCB meeting to finalise proposal before presenting it to cops

Members of the Pune Cantonment Board (PCB) will meet on November 28 to finalise the decision on the proposed MG Road walking plaza before approaching DCP (Traffic) Vishwas Pandhare. Earlier in the month, the board had conducted a meeting where the walking plaza was proposed to commence from November 12.


Walk and talk: A couple enjoys a walk down MG Road. The walking
plaza plan envisages a ban on vehicles on the road on Saturday and
Sunday evenings. file pic


Board members said that the final proposal would have to scrutinised by PCB Chief Executive Officer Rachel Koshy and President Major General Ajay Saxena. Following this, the board will meet DCP Pandhare and finalise the opening date for the plaza, said Karansingh Makwani, PCB vice president.

Earlier, the traffic police were reportedly miffed with the PCB for announcing the plan without consulting them. Pandhare had said that although he had received a letter regarding the issue, the date was announced without any intimation to the police.

"The walking plaza might affect traffic flow in the area and it (the plan) will have to be studied properly before implementation," he had said. The plaza started in 2006 but was shut down after the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.

According to the plan, there will be no hawkers, eateries, stalls and music shows on the road and the area will be a no-vehicle zone on Saturday and Sunday in the evenings. The plaza had become a popular place when various events and musical shows were organised earlier.  

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply