Mumbai: On Day 12 after a brawl between a flier and an immigration official took place at the Mumbai airport, the police have not yet managed to obtain CCTV footage of the entire episode.

Kishore Shimpy, a cruiseliner chef en route to see his hospitalised son in Mumbai, was thrashed for pointing out an immigration constable’s oversight.

Also Read: Immigration officer thrashes flier at Mumbai airport for pointing out mistake

Kishore Shimpi
Kishore Shimpi

While the official put the blame on the passenger for losing his temper, Shimpy registered a Non Cognizable Offence (NC) with the police.

On March 1, Shimpy flew from Paris (Jet Airways flight 9W 123) and arrived at 8.15 am at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. He visited Mumbai to be with his son, who was admitted to a hospital after he met with an accident and sustained head injuries.

Kishore Shimpy rushed towards the immigrations section to complete all formalities, and in that haste, the wrong date of entry stamped by the official, Deepak Chavan, went unnoticed.

His passport stated February 28 as the date of entry. What started with Shimpi’s loss of temper over this, soon grew into a an ugly fight between the two. The passenger was the first to register a NC in Sahar Police Station after which the Immigration officers came in to register a case against the passenger.

The local police registered a NC against Chavan and FIR against Shimpy under sections IPC Sections 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 504 (intentional insult).

DCP Virendra Mishra said, “The CCTV footage is in their possession and we will have to wait till the department will handover the footage to us. Though we have drafted a written letter to the department the very next day, I will now ask the senior officials to ask Immigration to hurry up and submit the footage to us.”

“It is only after the CCTV footages are in the police’s custody that the case can be investigated ahead and the culprit cane be identified, till then things will remains the way they are now,” said a police official requesting anonymity.