New Delhi: Injured pacer Mohit Sharma is disappointed at missing India's limited-overs tour of Australia ahead of the more significant World T20 and says he will take at least a month to recover from a stress on his left ankle.
Mohit Sharma. Pic/Atul Kamble
The selectors did not consider Mohit for the five ODIs and three T20 Internationals against Australia starting January 12. "It is obviously disappointing but it (injury) is very much part of an athlete's life. There is nothing I can do about it. Surely, it would have been ideal to tour Australia and then the World T20 is also round the corner. The focus now is on getting back to full fitness," Mohit told PTI when asked about his thoughts on missing the tour Down Under.
The 27-year-old had a decent outing in Australia and New Zealand during the World Cup where he ended with 13 wickets from eight games at 24.15, third highest for India. Mohit, a regular in India's limited overs setup, played four of the five ODIs against the visiting South Africa in the team's last series in October.
The Haryana-pacer felt the pain while playing the two matches of the Vijay Hazare Trophy earlier in the month. Prior to that, he had taken 10 wickets in the four Ranji Trophy matches that took place after India's ODI series against South Africa.
"It got really painful by the second game (of Vijay Hazare) and I decided not to risk it further. I have been speaking constantly with BCCI physio (Andrew Leipus) on the injury and it will take at least a month before I can bowl again. Having said that, I am feeling much better now and doing light sessions in the gym," added Mohit, who has played 26 ODIs and 8 T20 Internationals since making his debut in August 2013.