Khetau Nishad was a carpenter
Khetau Nishad was a carpenter

This woman’s one last wish to see her husband’s body was not fulfilled as the Navghar police allegedly disposed it of without her consent. Rita Devi Khetau Nishad (37) has raised questions on the cops’ investigation of his husband’s death and even alleged that the police asked her to settle the issue by accepting money.

Running from pillar to post
Now, she is running from pillar to post to get justice. Meanwhile, police claimed that Rita had given consent to dispose off the body but accepted that a proper procedure was not followed.

Rita’s husband Khetau Nishad used to work as a carpenter for Royal Corporation. The company provides carpenters to individual clients and construction sites as well.

Khetau was sent to a building construction site at Mulund (east), owned by Sai Symphony Constructions, where he used to stay. In July this year, Rita went to her home in Uttar Pradesh along with her four children, as she was pregnant. Khetau was staying in one of the rooms of the under-construction building.

Met with an accident
On August 23, when Rita tried to contact her husband, he was not present at the site. She asked his colleague Bablu about his whereabouts but even he was clueless.

On August 26, Bablu called up Rita informing her that Khetau had met with an accident and he was being taken to Rajwadi Hospital in Ghatkopar. She immediately decided to leave for Mumbai.

However, around 6pm she got a call from another colleague of Khetau, Chandra Prakash Yadav, who told Rita that her husband was dead and his body was being disposed.

Rita said, “I asked Yadav to wait as I wished to see my husband for one last time. But the following morning I again got a call from Yadav saying that his body had been handed over to his nephew Santosh and the final rites had been carried out.”

Asked them to wait
She further said, “I was shocked and angry as I had asked them to wait.” “Police sub-inspector DY Jadhav had even offered me R25,000 to settle the matter but I refused to take the money. Instead I visited Navghar police station on August 29 and filed a complaint,” she added.

Secretary of Grahak Samajseva Sanstha, Shivprakash Tiwari said, “The body was found in a suspicious condition. It can be a case of suicide but there is also a probability of him being murdered. The cops should have waited for his wife before disposing off the body.”

Khetau’s family has approached the joint commissioner of Crime and requested him to look into the matter.

Senior inspector of Navghar police station Madhav More said, “The woman gave her consent over phone and asked us to hand over the body to his nephew.”