The fire at Versova began at 10:30 am. Pic/Shailesh Bhatia
A major blazed occurred on Thursday morning at a bungalow in the Kino Cottage area in Versova. Officials from the Mumbai Fire Brigade have been deployed at the site of the blaze. No injuries have been reported.
Locals Sushil and Nina Saini, who live next to Kino Cottage, first spotted smoke emanating from the bungalow. According to eyewitnesses, within minutes, the entire bungalow was engulfed in the fire.
Over six fire brigades immediately rushed to the spot, but were unable to enter the premises, as the entrance gate was narrow. At the time of going to press, the flames had been brought under control. There was no information on the number of human causalities. Sources said that a short circuit inside the premises had led to the fire.
Huge fire at Rock Beach road (Opp Barista), Versova. Please avoid the road and give way to emergency vehicles.— Devaiah Bopanna (@devaiahPB) May 11, 2017
One user tweeted, "Huge fire at Rock Beach road (Opp Barista), Versova. Please avoid the road and give way to emergency vehicles."
Images of the blaze in Versova have gone viral on Twitter. Pic/Shailesh Bhatia
Another tweet said, "That looks like a nasty fire on #Versova beach...somewhere near Kino cottage. Hope everyone is safe."
Incidentally, the staff had the presence of mind to evacuate all the LPG cylinders from the premises, once the smoke was detected. Kabeer, who owns and resides in the cottage, was not available for comment.
Fire officials have ranked the Versova fire rather high on the danger scale. Pic/Shailesh Bhatia
The fire at Versova. Pic/Twitter
Kino Cottage in Seven Bunglows, Versova, is a landmark famous for its lush landscaped garden, overlooking the beach, which over the years have hosted numerous celebrity parties and film shootings.