Mumbai: Servant who drugged, looted Bhagyashree's in-laws convicted

Sanjay Kumar Nishad had committed the crime in 2014
Sanjay Kumar Nishad had committed the crime in 2014

After nearly two years, the Mumbai sessions court yesterday convicted a 24-year-old man, Sanjay Kumar Nishad, for drugging the in-laws of actress Bhagyashree and making away with valuables worth Rs 25 lakh.

The court acquitted the other three accused — Rakesh Jaiswar (29), Rajesh Mahendra Chavan (24) and Chandan alias Mangal Ramashray (31).

Also Read: Servant spikes food, robs actress Bhagyashree's in-laws of Rs 25 lakh

The court, presided over by judge MG Deshpande, convicted Nishad under section 328 (causing hurt by means of poison, etc., with intent to commit an offence) of the Indian Penal Code and sentenced him to four years of imprisonment.

Speaking to mid-day, Jaiswar’s lawyers Amrish Salunke and Deepali Saudagar said they had argued before the court that nothing had been recovered from their client and also no call records were found. They also said that nothing was found from his possession after a raid at his house.

Nishad used to work for Pannalal (73) and Shakuntala Dasani (72), who stay in an Irla society. Nishad had told them that his name was Ritesh.

On January 24, 2014, around 9 pm, he served the couple their morning coffee spiked with sleeping pills. Soon, they fell unconscious, and taking advantage of the situation, Nishad called his accomplices and decamped with valuables worth Rs 25 lakh, leaving the door ajar.

Read Story: Mumbai: Cops arrest duo who stole from actress Bhagyashree's in-laws

A neighbour noticed the door open and walked in to find the couple unconscious. He immediately informed their son Himalaya Dasami, who arrived at the spot and called a doctor. He even informed the Juhu police. According to the police, Nishad aka Ritesh had joined 10 days prior to the incident.

After a case was registered at Juhu police station, two of the four accused Chavan and Ramashray, both residents of Bhayander, were arrested.

Nishad and Jaiswar were caught a year after the incident.

    Leave a Reply