On June 8, 1938, Metro was opened to the public on land that was formerly used as Air Force stables. It was built at the Dhobi Talao junction where six roads converged. The Metro Goldwyn Corporation acquired it in 1936 on a lease for 999 years at a nominal annual ground rent of '1!
The new theatre was advertised in the press as ‘Metro-Where the Lion Roars’, as Metro Goldwyn Corporation has a lion as its emblem. Now called Metro Big Cinema, it was previously called Metro Adlabs (2006-2008), and is an Art Deco Heritage grade IIA
multiplex and continues to draw in the crowds as it has done for decades together.
One of the city’s first Art Deco cinema halls, its distinct geometric patterns and pinnacle are elements that stand out in the city’s skyline till this day. Thankfully, its re-done interiors have managed to retain some of its old world charm.
Photos: Katrina Kaif, Shamita Shetty at Mumbai airport
Photos: Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt promote 'Badri...' on 'Dil Hai Hindustani'
In pictures: 15 facts about kissing that will surprise you
Photos: Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput at cafe in Bandra
Photos: Deepika Padukone, Neha Dhupia and Soha Ali Khan at event