The crowded lanes of Bhuleshwar also house Panjrapole, a 176-year-old infirmary that looks after 350 cows and other stray animals like donkeys, dogs and goats. As their website (bombaypanjrapole.org.in) mentions, it is spread over two acres and is a charitable trust and non-profit institution.
Pic/ Ddatta Kumbhar
Panjrapole was founded in 1834 by businessmen Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy and Amichand Shah. They were aided by Parsi philanthropist Cowasjee Patel (after whom CP Tank was named).
Co-founder Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy
It was formed to care for stray dogs and pigs; in those days, there was a shoot-at-sight order to control the menace of stray dogs and pigs. Cows were brought in to feed milk to strays.
Over time, the number of cows increased and today, most of the animals sheltered are cows. It is currently run by a Parsi trust and has branches in Kalyan, Chembur and Bhiwandi.
The Bhuleshwar shelter yields 800 to 1,000 litres of milk daily, which is sold to locals. The money is used for the shelter’s upkeep.
Where: Near Madhav Baug Post Office, Bhuleshwar.