MUMBAI CHHAAP: Visit the Holy Name Cathedral church
January marks an important, celebratory time for Mumbai’s Holy Name Cathedral (officially known as Cathedral of the Holy Name) in Colaba. The seat of the Archdiocese of Mumbai, this Cathedral is one of the most striking churches of the city.
It was built in 1902 and holds an important place among the Roman Catholic community in Mumbai. The church is popularly called Wodehouse Church as it stands on Wodehouse Road (officially called Nathalal Parikh Marg).
Imposing stained glass panels dominate the interiors. File Pics
The imposing cathedral was designed by WA Chambers, who was employed by the then Archbishop Dalhoff. He was an established architect of the firm of Messrs Gostling, Chambers and Fritchley. The church was opened for community worship on January 15, 1905. The façade of the building is surmounted by two lofty towers, flanked on either side by the residence of the Archbishop and the Fort Convent School.
Also within the complex, are the Archbishop’s House and the Cathedral House. Its interiors and restoration were the handiwork of the Czech-born Karl Schara, greatly inspired by Cubism, who transformed the cathedral into one of India’s most inspired public modern creations. Incidentally Schara played a key role in the interiors of Regal Cinema nearby. On a Sunday morning, as the choir’s hymns lilt from the mezzanine during service, it’s easy to lose oneself into a magical space.
Wodehouse Road, opposite YMCA, Colaba. & 22020121
+ Log on to: cathedraloftheholyname.org