In the latest development in the grisly rape and murder case of a 12-year-old girl in Baiganwadi, Govandi (West), the post-mortem of the deceased victim revealed that while she had gone missing at 5 pm on Saturday night, the rape and murder took place several hours later, between 12 am and 2 am on Sunday.

mid-day’s report on October 27 on the rape and murder case

mid-day’s report on October 27 on the rape and murder case

The reports further revealed that the victim was initially strangled by hand, and then again with a dupatta around her neck. So horrific was the crime, sources are now alleging, that it could be a gang rape case, as they believe that it is improbable for a single person to have committed such brutality on their own.

The victim’s family is hopeful that the police will find and catch the culprits at the earliest. “The zone DCP along with the ACP have promised us that they would be arresting the accused within 48 hours. Now, we are just waiting for a call to confirm that they have found those responsible, as we want to know why would anyone harm our daughter so cruelly,” said the father.

mid-day had reported yesterday that the body of a 12-year-old was found on Sunday, half a kilometre from her home in Baiganwadi, Shivaji Nagar, after she was abducted, and then brutally raped and murdered. (Bound, gagged, raped and then strangled to death, October 27)

“On Saturday, after my daughter went missing, we looked for her. But, when we could not trace her, we went to the police station in order to lodge a complaint. Later, when I was on my way to Mulund, I got a call from the police station saying they had recovered a body and were calling me to the police station for identification,” he added.

Both, the Crime Branch and the Shivaji Nagar police are investigating the case, and have detained four and two accused persons respectively. “People have been detained. Meanwhile, we are looking into the matter very thoroughly, and are also going to take their DNA samples and see if it matches the crime scene, as no one has confessed yet.

We have recovered several pieces of cloth from the mouth and private parts of the victim, as well as the garbage container in which the body was dumped,” said an officer from Shivaji Nagar police. Since it was revealed that there was a gap of around eight hours between the time the victim went missing and her murder in the wee hours of the next morning, police also suspect that after her abduction, she was gagged and held in a garment godown in the area.

“The whole area has several garment factories, so there is a possibility that the victim could been kept in some godown initially, and then, later in the night, the horror would have taken place,” added a Crime Branch officer.