A cylinder blast in Andheri's Kesarbai chawl around 8 am has left a couple with more than 70% burns. The blast happened around 5.30 am and brought a portion of a g+1 chawl's roof down. The couple's son has also received injuries on the head and leg.
Around 5.30 am, the cylinder of the Upadhyay family burst, leading to the accident. Due to its impact, a portion of the ceiling also collapsed on three people sleeping there. Two fire engines were sent to the spot and the fire was doused.
One resident Ashok Upadhyay has suffered 85% burns while another, Sheela Upadhyay, has received 75% burns. Both were taken to Cooper Hospital and are now being shifted to Kasturba hospital. Others were treated on OPD basis.
"Their wounds are not deep and we are hoping it will not be fatal. Since Kasturba has a dedicated burns ward, we are moving them there," the treating doctor told mid-day.