One person died and ten others were injured in an explosion that resulted from a gas cylinder leak at a chawl in Poisar, Kandivli yesterday.
The incident took place around 6.30 am, when someone smelled the gas and alerted the sleeping residents. While most of the people managed to vacate the building immediately, Krishnakant Jha (45), whose cylinder was leaking, died in the explosion.
The injured suffered up to 40-per cent burns and are getting treated at Shatabdi Hospital. They include four females and six males; the youngest is a 13-year-old boy. The neighbouring chawl also bore the brunt of the fire. It took one fire engine and water tanker around 45 minutes to douse the fire.
“This fire was a little tricky because the chawl was in the interiors of Poisar. The fire engine could not go up to the chawl and had to be parked 0.5 km away. The fire was doused with the help of bucket water,” said R D Dhande, station officer of Kandivli fire station.
Photos: Shraddha Kapoor, Kim Sharma at 'Haseena Parkar' screening
Mumbai to Goa train: First look at the glass-top Vistadome coach
Shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa keeps it short and sexy on social media
Photos: Narendra Modi, others at Marshal Arjan Singh's funeral
Photos: Sussanne Khan and Nimrat Kaur spotted at a spa in Juhu