Mumbai, Delhi Airport authorities hassled by repeated threat calls

Sep 05, 2015, 11:59 IST | Neha Tripathi

Saturday morning proved to be tough start as the Airport Authorities recieved threat calls. However, the firt threat call was received by Air India's call centre in Mumbai (Thane) and the second in Delhi. The call recieved in Mumbai was around 7.10pm on Friday.

The Mumbai Airport control room was alerted when the officials from Air India call centre alerted Mumbai Airport Officials about the threat call. According to senior officials the caller claimed to be calling from Dubai and said he was Dawood Ibrahim's brother. "He called and told that there would be an explosion in the Delhi airport and mentioned specific flights that would be hijacked and disconnected the call. This call was recieved at around 7.10am after which the city airport control room was alerted," said a Senior Airport Official.

A Non Cognizable Offence (NC) was registered under section 505 1b [(b) with intention to cause, or which is likely to cause, fear or alarm to the public, or to any section of the public whereby any person may be induced to commit an offence against the State or against the public tranquility]

Following this, a call regarding a bomb threat was recived around 1:30 am by authorities at Indira Gandhi International Airport, in which the caller mentioned 3 flights; Jet airways 9W 078, swiss LX147 (Delhi- Zurich) and Cathay pacific CX 694 (Delhi- Hong Kong).

The 9W 078 (Delhi- Hong Kong) and CX 694 were already airborne. Both returned back to Delhi and were sent to isolation bay. LX 147 was already on ground was sent to isolated bay.

However, after the baggage reconciliation and due checks the emergency was called off amd the flights departed for their destination .

"Two threat calls were recieved for Delhi airport and flights operating from it. Though Mumbai recived non specific threat call about Delhi, the threat call recived by IGIA was specific and hence specific steps were taken. However, nothing suspicious was found," said an Airport Official.

Go to top