Mumbai food: 8 restaurants in Colaba that will fix your hunger pangs
Situated on the southern tip of Mumbai, Colaba is one of the city's most bustling and happening locality frequented by people of all groups. It is not only home to business centres but also to a plethora of legendary and modern day eateries. From budget restaurants to expensive ones, we have listed 8 popular restaurants in Colaba that you can visit for a delicious meal.
1. Leopold Cafe: This is one of Mumbai’s oldest restaurants that has created its own heritage and legacy in the city’s culinary world. Founded in 1871, Leopold Cafe today boasts an extensive menu comprising American, Chinese, Mughlai and Italian fares. The cafe is located in the midst of Colaba Causeway that easily grabs attention of any passerby. Leopold Special Chicken Pasta, Prawn Chillies, Leopoldo special chicken pasta and chicken stroganoff are some of the recommended dishes.
Where: S.B. Singh Road, Colaba Causeway, Colaba
2. Cafe Mondegar: It is one of the first and most iconic Mumbai cafes that take you back to the 'Bombay era'. Its retro decor, quirky look, and wall caricatures can be rarely seen in other eateries. Started in 1932 as an Irani Cafe, Cafe Mondegar is until date a celebrated name in the list of Mumbai restaurants. The place is a bit clumsy and you may have to wait to grab a table. From imported to domestic drinks, and from local delicacies to continental fare, the cafe is a one-stop destination in Colaba for locals and Indian and international tourists. Mondegar is popularly known for delicacies like Chicken Steak, Chicken Salt and Pepper, Egg Mayo Sandwich, and Non-veg club grilled sandwich
Where: 5A, Metro House, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Near Regal Cinema, Colaba
3. Colaba Social: This classy, modern day restaurant has everything for everyone. From local favourites to international delicacies, Colaba Social is a great place to indulge in global cuisine during any time of the day. The quirky decor also calls for a click. Colaba Social is also a great place to quench your thirst over affordable and innovate drinks. We recommend you Juicy Lucy Burger, Ferrero Rocher Shake, The Hound Dog Burger, chicken chat, fish and chips and Long and Island Ice Tea.
Where: 24, Ground Floor, Glen Rose Building, Behind Taj Mahal Palace, Apollo Bunder, Colaba
4. Bar Stock Exchange: This popular pub has opened several outlets in Mumbai over the years. Known to operate on the lines of the Bombay Stock Exchange, Bar Stock Exchange is 'the' place to be for budget drinks. The quick bites like Sri Lankan sausage party, Chicken cheese melt, Salt and Pepper prawns and Pahadi Kukkad are perfect accompaniments to glasses of beer, whisky, vodka and cocktails. BSE’s Colaba outlet is spread over two floors- rooftop seating and indoor seating on the ground floor.
Where: Hotel Apollo, Lansdowne Road, Behind Regal Cinema, Colaba
5. Gokul: A casual dining and budget bar, Gokul do not boast of a classy ambience, but good food and cheap drinks. If you are in Colaba and willing to explore bygone Mumbai, then drop into Gokul and spend a long time over cheap drinks and delicious food. From standard whisky to premium whisky, regular vodka to imported vodka, and mild beer to strong ones, Gokul has everything in its kitty. The old world charm of Gokul will make you forget the classy and modern day pop- up bars and eateries.
Where: 10, Tullock Road, Apollo Bunder, Colaba
6. Baghdadi: If you are looking for a budget restaurant in Colaba that serves authentic North Indian and Mughlai food, then Baghdadi can be your best bet. Boti Chicken, Beef Fry, Chicken Biryani, Bheja Fry, Mutton Dabba Gosht, Chicken Bhunna and Tandoori Paratha are some of the recommended dishes. Also, if you are a biryani lover, you cannot miss a meal at Baghdadi. The ambience may not attract you, but the food will tempt you for a second and third visit. You can enjoy a wholesome meal without burning a hole in your pocket.
Where: 11, Tulloch Road, Behind Taj Mahal Hotel, Colaba
7. Ideal Restaurant: Situated in the bustling locality of Colaba, this casual dining calls for a pocket-friendly meal. Ideal serves authentic Arabic and Irani food. This is the perfect place to go in big groups or if you have a huge appetite. Royal non-vegetarian platter, Raan tandoori biryani, Mutton Chops, Chicken Tikka and Paya soup are some dishes that are easy on your pocket and worth trying.
Where: 3/10, Kamal Mansion, Near Radio Club, HNA Road, Colaba
8. Ling’s Pavilion: Craving for authentic Chinese food in Mumbai? Make your way to Ling’s Pavilion in Colaba. This is a legendary Chinese restaurant in Mumbai that serves lip-smacking pork and seafood dishes. Generous portion, delectable food, romantic setting and warm hospitality, Ling’s Pavilion calls for a fabulous meal and unforgettable experience. You must order delicacies like Pork Ribs, Mongolian Chicken, Crab soup, Beef Chilly and Roast Duck here.
Where: 19/21, Mahakavi Bhushan Marg, Behind Regal Cinema, Colaba