A 20-year-old balloon seller died after a helium gas cylinder exploded in Malwani last night.
The incident occurred at a time when Manish Awsare was refilling the cylinder, said an officer from Malwani police station.
Manish and his father Mahadev had gone to blow balloons at an engagement ceremony at a lounge near Daana Pani beach in Malad West.
Sources from Malwani police station said, Manish accidentally overfilled the cylinder because he could not check the pressure due to a malfunctioned metre.
This resulted in a leakage, following which the cylinder exploded. Manish sustained burn injuries to his face and chest.
Soon after the accident, Manish was rushed to the Atlantic Hospital. He was later shifted to Shatabdi Hospital, where he was declared dead.
The deceased used to reside at Bhagat Singh Nagar in Goregaon West with his parents.
On the basis of primary investigation, Malwani Police have registered an Accidental Death Report (ADR) and are probing the case further.
Photos: Shah Rukh Khan, Shweta Bachchan at Karan Johar's book launch
Photos: Sunny Deol with sons Karan and Rajvir at Mumbai airport
Photos: 10 beautiful moments that capture winter around the world
Photos: Karisma Kapoor, Preity Zinta, Shraddha Kapoor at Mumbai airport
Spotted: Anushka Sharma and Diljit Dosanjh at Mumbai studio