Abdul Wahid Din Mohammed Shaikh, (36), the only man to have walked out free in the July 11, 2006 bomb blasts case, visited the Sessions court on Monday to receive a copy of the judgment. After the arguments on quantum of sentencing, he addressed the media.
Shaikh said he and the other accused are also victims of 11/7. Pic/Sayyed Sameer Abedi
Shaikh, who said his life has been completely ruined by his arrest and nine-year jail term, said he will seek compensation from the state. “I have suffered for these nine years and don’t have a job. My life is completely ruined. Like those 188 victims who died, even we are victims. I am relieved that I am free but others are unjustly jailed,” he said.
Shaikh said that after going home, he had first met his mother. “My mother was very happy to see me home but she is also sad that her other 12 sons couldn’t come back and they are still in jail. While I was in jail my wife stayed at her parents’ house and was working as a teacher and also looked after the family,” he said.
On Friday, a Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court convicted 12 others for the blasts. Shaikh, who had been accused of providing his home in Mumbra for harbouring Pakistanis (said to be involved in the blasts conspiracy), was acquitted by the court on grounds of lack of evidence.
He further said, “I have also filed an RTI application regarding my job as a school teacher. I am also going to seek compensation from the state. I might not get it soon as the state will definitely appeal against my acquittal. So I think it will take a very long time, till I get old.”
Photos: Salman Khan returns from Jodhpur to Mumbai
Pics: Sidharth Shukla-Rashami Desai's sizzling chemistry at TV show launch
Ooh La Lana! WWE Diva flaunts sexy curves in these 30 pictures
15 'peach' perfect photos of Priyanka Chopra at People's Choice Awards 2017
62 going on 16: These photos of Rekha prove she is 'forever young'