Parents of 13-year-old teenager Shashank Iyer are dismayed that their son, who was hit by debris from a construction site, has to take anti-epileptic drugs for three years and lead a life of great caution
Just as he was preparing to rejoin school as a ninth grader, 13-year-old Shashank Iyer’s plans suffered a huge blow earlier this month, when some debris fell on him from a construction site near his home, fracturing his skull. After spending over a fortnight in the hospital, the young boy was finally discharged on Wednesday.
Doctors have also advised Shashank to stay away from crowded, noisy places, and refrain from activities like swimming and cycling, much to the teenager’s dismay. Pic/Sameer Markande
But his troubles are far from over Shashank has now been put on anti-epileptic drugs for the next three years, as doctors fear that he may experience convulsions. Doctors have also advised him to stay away from crowded places, and refrain from activities like swimming and cycling, much to the teenager’s dismay.
mid-day had reported on the shocking accident in its April 4 edition
Shashank Iyer (13) was injured on April 1 when debris from a construction site fell on his head at Runwal Garden City in Balkum-Thane. Recalling the incident, the boy said, “The ball with which we were playing in the building’s podium garden had gone missing somewhere. We went searching for it near a building that is still under construction.
Suddenly, something hit me really hard on the head. By the time I realised what had happened, I had thrown up my food. The hospital stay was very long and painful. I am upset at having missed school for so long, something that I have never done in the past.”
The teenager was rushed to Jupiter Hospital in Thane soon after the incident, and discharged on the evening of April 16. The hospital stay cost close to R3 lakh, which the builder paid for. The boy’s parents, however, say that it is too small a price for the builders to pay, considering that the accident has done lifelong damage to their son’s health.
His mother Vidya said, “I will not be able to resume work as I need to be at home to care for my son. My income has stopped and my son’s childhood has been destroyed. The builder cannot get away by just paying the hospital bills. We need compensation for all of it. It is difficult for me to come to terms with the kind of life that my child has to live now, with such a threat to his health.”
She added, “My son is in Std IX. The incident has forced him to stay at home. We have already paid fees for his school, bus travel and coaching classes. He cannot attend any of it because of what happened.” The parents also claimed that the builder has not yet placed safety nets or put other arrangements in place to prevent a repeat of such an accident.
Meanwhile, Vvikas Aroraa, director of marketing and sales from Runwal group, said, “The hospital bills had been defrayed by us so far. Besides I have also had a word with the boy’s father Dilip, whom I am supposed to meet next week, as we are on a tight schedule on account of some launches. Once I connect with him, I would be able to understand what needs to be done.”
Pics: Prabhas, Tamannaah Bhatia at 'Baahubali 2' first look launch at MAMI
'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' photos: Aishwarya, Anushka, Karan get candid at MAMI
Photos: Huma Qureshi, Neha Dhupia and other celebs at MAMI
Photos: Amy Jackson, Daisy Shah at Mumbai airport
Photos: Sridevi, Irrfan and other celebs at 'Mughal-e-Azam' screening